Monday, February 16, 2015

News 7

My FAMILY!!!
1/26/15


        I really don't have many interesting things to share with you all this time. Sorry. We no longer have any progressing investigators, so Sister Villegas and I spend all our time tracting. Every now and again we do get to teach some recent converts and less actives, but they have lives and it's hard to convince them to meet with us regularly. So we have made a goal to visit EVERY SINGLE person in our ward.

        The weather here is really weird. It will be super cloudy and cold one minute and then it will be clear, sunny and warm the next. So I'm never sure how to dress for the day. The other day when we went out tracting, it had been so warm. So I didn't wear my coat when we left. But then by the time we arrived at the area that we wanted to tract, the weather was no longer nice. It was cold, windy and starting to hail. I now know better and take my coat every time, even when it's warm. And another fun thing that the weather does is... ruins my hair! I will straighten it and make it look nice every morning, and then by the end of the day it is wavy and frizzy. Bleh.

        We did meet one crazy person this week. We knocked on his door and he came out smiling and recognized us as missionaries. He told us that he knows Joseph Smith personally because he lives a couple houses away. We tried explaining it to him, but he wasn't listening. He would tell us that he needed to grab something from the car then he would run into the front yard, look around, and come back. He was very high. He kept talking to people... that weren't there. He would look at us but wouldn't really see us. It was so weird. He said he really liked our church and loved the lessons that missionaries taught him in the past. He said he had tried, with his last missionaries, to give up doing drugs and selling drugs but that it hadn't worked out. So we are trying to decide if we should go back and teach him again or not.

        I had my first real interview with my mission president, President Baker, the other day. He is a funny old man. He's like a walking dictionary. He always uses these really big words that I've never heard before. During the interview we were talking about my homesickness, and my "mental health/stability," and how I was dealing with everything. Then he asks me, "Did you make the right decision in choosing to serve a mission?" Ugh! Why would he ask me that? I was finally getting used to the idea of being a missionary, and then he wants me to contemplate it all over again. Oh well, I'll figure it out.

        I can't figure out my companion. There are some days were she and I work very smoothly with each other. Where we can joke and have a good time, when we split the teaching evenly. And then there are days where everything I do seems to upset her, and she takes over the teaching completely. I try and be patient. If we weren't companions we are both the type of personality that would not be friends in the real world. She isn't a terrible person though. We work. She's just kind of dramatic and I don't always know how to handle her.

        And I also wanted to let everyone that sent me those awesome e-mails, notes and letters of encouragement over the last week. I loved everything that you guys had to say. And it was all very helpful advice. I don't have enough time to respond to the e-mails, but I will get back on the letters. Thank you all for making me feel so loved!!! And thank you so much for the package! I loved it. My companion and I have already gone through almost all the food, and I love having a nice pillow. I also loved the Christmas present ;).

        I wish I had more to say. I feel like this e-mail is so much shorter then the others, but there just isn't much going on right now. We haven't been being fed by the members this week, so I don't even have funny stories about them. We did get to do some service though. A less active in our ward is trying to sell a house. So we went over there for 3 hours and raked the entire yard. That was pretty fun. :)

        I love you all and love hearing from you! I hope everything is going good at home. I love picturing the cat getting fat, you might have to send me a picture of that :).

        Love

        Sister (Amanda) MacKay


        P.S. I may need more stamps in the near future, so when you send the next package (whenever that may be) would you please include some stamps?

No comments:

Post a Comment